If you’ve ever been camping before, you’ll know how awesome Walking Tacos are. (Also known as Frito Pie, Frito Salad, and Taco-in-a-Bag.) So of course, I had to give this satisfying classic an even more delightful twist. Barbecue! And except for the Fritos themselves, this recipe is just as healthy as it is tasty.
Let me level with you:
I have a special attachment to this recipe. Few people know this about me, but I was a Girl Scout for over 13 years. In that time, there were thousands of boxes of cookies sold each year (yes, thousands), plentiful camping trips, service projects, crafts, and many embarrassing songs sung…loudly. (Shout out to my mom for being a leader for almost all this time and pretty much blowing every other G.S. troop’s agenda out of the water. Love you, Mom!)
Not surprisingly, one of my favorite parts of Girl Scouts was all the cooking.
Whether that meant campfire hot dogs, messy pancakes, dutch oven cobbler, foil packet fire dinners, mess kit popcorn, or Walking Tacos, I was all over it!! So much yum.
Now I won’t say the original meaty and cheesy version wasn’t super delicious, but I dare you not to love this BBQ-ey, smokey, flavorful recipe, which can barely be considered meatless with 15g of protein per serving. Betcha can’t eat just one!
So plan a camping trip, rally the gang for a cook-out (minus the cooking), or picnic in your living room. You’re going to love this!
BBQ “Walking Tacos” with Blanco Sauce
- FRITO SALAD
- 1 c. cooked quinoa "meat" (1/2 c. dry quinoa; see quinoa seasoning below)
- 1/2 c. BBQ sauce + 1 Tbs. smoked paprika + 1 tsp. sweet and smoky rub
- 4 bags single serving Fritos
- 1 cans black beans
- 1 can sweet corn
- 1 pint grape tomatoes (cut in half)
- 2 c. spinach (cut into ribbons)
- 2-3 avocados (cut into cubes)
- BLANCO SAUCE
- 1/4 c. cashews (soaked overnight)
- 1.5 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 Tbs. lemon juice
- 1.5 Tbs. original almond milk
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. onion powder
- 1/4 tsp. dill weed
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- Soak cashews overnight in a closed container with 3 cups water. Make sure to leave extra room, as the cashews expand slightly. (If you aren’t able to soak overnight, soak for 4+ hrs in hot water to speed up the process.)
- Cook quinoa with paprika and sweet and smoky rub*. Directions here. When finished, add BBQ sauce and lightly incorporate. (Too much mixing will result in mushy quinoa, so be careful! *If you don’t have a sweet and smoky rub or something similar, it’s okay to omit.)
- Rinse and drain black beans and corn. Cut and prepare tomatoes, spinach, and avocado. Set aside in individual bowls for self-serving. (If you’d like your black beans heated, warm on the stove at medium low, or in the microwave for 1-2 minutes.)
- Blend cashews and all other blanco sauce ingredients until smooth. If you want the sauce thinner, add more almond milk 1 Tbs. at a time until desired texture is achieved.
- Set up Frito bags, quinoa “meat,” black beans, corn, tomatoes, spinach, avocados, and blanco sauce assembly line style for self-serving. Perfect for camping, picnics, and outdoor events, or just a fun dinner at home!
- If you want to make the traditional dish-less Walking Tacos, add all the ingredients to the single serve chip bag. Otherwise, feel free to pile the ingredients into a bowl or on a plate.
*I don't count calories. My recommendations on calorie counting and nutrition can be found here