You guys. I will not lie to you… Beet and Sour Sauce may become your newest addiction. It’s traditional sweet and sour infused with the ever-popular beets! The sauce goes really well with fresh spring rolls, although I’ve since tried it on salads, stir fries, and veggie burgers. It plays nice with all the foods in the playground. Not only that, it is incredibly simple to make!
So where did the inspiration for this beet-y recipe come from?
Well, mostly I just love mixing obscure, somewhat similar ingredients into “classic” recipes and, well, hoping for the best. It’s a lot of fun!
Also, I’ve been challenging myself to try out recipes that I once thought were too difficult. Somehow, spring rolls fell into that category. Why? Probably because rice paper intimidated me. Little did I know, all you really do is soak rice paper in warm water for a few seconds and wrap your favorite ingredients in it. Then, all you need is an awesome sauce (hint, hint) and you’re ready to impress your next dinner guests.
Beet and Sour Sauce
- 1/4 c. canned beet puree (can also use fresh roasted beets if you prefer)
- 3 large cloves fresh garlic
- 1 tsp. diced ginger root
- 1/3 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. honey (or agave if you prefer)
- 1/3 c. water
- 2 Tbs. coconut oil
- 3 Tbs. fresh lemon juice
- Puree your beets to the consistency of ketchup.
- Bring a sauce pan to medium-high heat. When it is good and hot, add coconut oil.
- Sautee the garlic and ginger until lightly browned, then add water, followed by the rest of the ingredients, stirring well to incorporate.
- Decrease heat to low and let simmer for a few minutes to reduce, continuing to stir.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool. You can serve warm, room temperature, or chilled after storing in the refrigerator.
*I don't count calories. My recommendations on calorie counting and nutrition can be found here