I know what you’re thinking….”Cabbage? I don’t know about this one, I’ve never liked cabbage….” Hey, I’ll level with you! I can’t say that I eat cabbage any other time. In fact, unless cabbage is in a dish that someone else makes, I won’t even bother buying it! Yet, here we are with this Indian Spiced Roasted Cabbage where you are about to reconsider…I hope!
The inspiration comes from India and Laos actually, where both cultures pack a lot of flavor into each dish. Throw some sticky jasmine rice and roasted asparagus underneath and it’s a party!!
And let’s be real…
…the bright colors on this beautiful purple cabbage?! PERFECTION. I’m obsessed with bright colors, especially when it comes to food. On multiple occasions, I have stopped people mid-sentence to go crazy over some aspect of my food I think is too good to wait until the end of that sentence.
Earlier this week? Grapefruit. I interrupted my roommate to show her how juicy and bright the individual cells of the organic grapefruit were. Last week, I was going a little crazy over the mango picture. Hey. Gotta love your food!! Your bright, bold, beautiful food. Or is that just me? lol
The most notable event (by a long shot) goes to the iPad Mini that I won from an inspiring movement called Feel Free. If you haven’t heard about it yet, your life may change forever. As I see it, these innovators are changing our social dynamic in a positive way with each passing day. It is their passion to affect the future in a big way, and it’s happening.
After hearing my need for a more portable technology solution, I was given this iPad…. and seriously, wow. I am so thankful for this extremely generous gift that I know is going to make such a difference for this blog and in my personal/professional life. I’m still floating in the clouds a little bit.
I’ll be honest, this may be one my greatest recipe masterpieces yet! The sensational balance of spices in this Indian Spiced Roasted Cabbage Wedges recipe is why it’s a weekly staple in my meal plan. Hope you enjoy it as much as I do!
Indian Spiced Roasted Cabbage Wedges
- 1 medium red/purple cabbage
- 2 Tbs. fresh lime juice
- 2 Tbs. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp. paprika
- 1 tsp. turmeric
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- 1 tsp. Himalayan sea salt (can also use regular salt)
- Optional: Side of Jasmine rice and 1 bunch baked asparagus
- Cut cabbage in half. To remove the core, cut a small wedge along the “stem” area. It doesn’t go all the way through the cabbage, so the wedge will be about 3″ long. Then, cut each half in half again (or into thirds if you’d like smaller wedges.) If you’re confused how to remove the core, watch this.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Mix lime juice, olive oil, and seasonings in a small bowl and use a spoon to cover the exposed edges of the cabbage wedges.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes.
- When the time is up, they are ready to serve as-is over your favorite rice, quinoa, or vegetables. For a more traditional Laotian dish, serve over sticky Jasmine rice with basil, papaya, mushrooms, and bamboo shoots.
*I don't count calories. My recommendations on calorie counting and nutrition can be found here
All I can say is, good luck not eating an entire head of cabbage! This is definitely an addicting one, and it’s not even 500 calories if you actually did want to eat the whole thing, just sayin!