“I am thrilled to introduce my first recipe to the Internet…” Those were my words here less than 7 months ago when I released the very first dish (Sweet ‘n’ Spicy Cajun Cashew Salad) on Sharing Every Bite. Looking at the contrast between then and now shows such a transformation already.
At that time, I was shooting in the dark (literally in my dark house) while using a point-and-shoot Canon Powershot ELPH 310 camera. 100% of the photography was happening in my kitchen with the worst lighting imaginable. Those tiny rays of light coming through my small kitchen window illuminated some embarrassing food compositions.
It makes me smile, though, to think that without formal photography, blogging, or culinary training, I just went for it anyway!
I smile ear-to-ear each week when I tackle another recipe, another challenging day of “production,” and everything else it takes to make this blog a reality.
Now, I just act like I have formal training. I shoot with a Canon Rebel t3i DSLR, fancy pants 100mm macro lens, and one and a half years of gluten-free vegan recipe-making.
FLASH BACK (The Original Post)
I am thrilled to introduce my first recipe to the Internet. It’s been almost three months since I’ve been putting this blog together and it’s about time you lovely people are fed with the delightful recipes I enjoy every day.
This salad actually came to me in a dream, and has since been a favorite for satisfying all my taste buds. Typically, I’m itching for something salty, so the cashews come in, and for an added bonus, they’re spicy as well. Then, you have the juicy grapes and nectarines for some healthy sweetness. Then the quinoa steps in to provide a nice palette neutralizer, and the kale for a slightly bitter, crunchy bed for all these goodies. Perfect for summer, quick, and easy to throw together.
So…let me know your thoughts on this delight. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do!
Sweet ‘n’ Spicy Cajun Cashew Salad
- 3/4 c. raw, unsalted cashews
- 1 c. seedless grapes
- 1 nectarine, cut into wedges
- 2 c. kale, chopped
- 1 c. spinach, chopped
- 1/2 c. cooked red quinoa
- 1 Tbs. olive oil
- (optional) 1 lemon, cut into wedges
- (CAJUN SEASONING) 1/2 tsp. salt 1 tsp. garlic powder 1 tsp. onion powder 1 tsp. paprika 1 tsp. black pepper 1 tsp. (heaping) oregano 1/4 tsp. thyme 1/4 tsp. cayenne 1/2 tsp. chili powder
- Wash and prepare grapes, nectarine, kale, and spinach. (Cut and chopped as directed in ingredients.)
- Cook 1/2 c. quinoa. See directions here.
- Toast cashews in toaster oven or oven until lightly browned. (This is about one medium-high “toast” setting in the toaster oven.) Remove from oven and toss with olive oil and seasoning until evenly coated. Return to oven and toast for a few more minutes so the seasoning soaks into to the cashews. Take care not to burn.
- Toss all ingredients except cashews in a large bowl. Top individual servings with the cajun cashews.
- (Optional) Spritz salad with lemon for extra acidity and a punch of flavor.