I may be going off the boat just a tad when I throw this one out there, but instead of Taco Tuesday, I’m celebrating Tostada Tuesday with these sweet potato tostadas! You’ll be pleasantly surprised to try such a great twist on traditional savory tostadas. These sit on that perfect balance between tangy, sweet, salty, and crunchy. And not only that, but they’re a total cinch to make! I promise you’ll be coming back for seconds (… or thirds like me.)
So what’s new here, you ask? Well, the most glaring piece of news is that I got the results from my allergy panel blood results back…finally, nearly two months later. I’ve been so anxious to see what other allergies I may have because of constant skin issues, continued metabolism sluggishness, and an overall feeling of grogginess during random times each week.
As you probably know by now, I’m already vegan, gluten-free, and soy-free, so I was hoping there wouldn’t be many more allergies. What I found out today was that Peppermint and Thyme are +3 (on a 1-4 scale, 4 being the worst). Then, mushrooms, pecans, oregano, white potato, raspberries, sesame seeds, vanilla, walnuts, and watermelon are +2. After that, every spice you can possibly think of and garbanzo beans are a +1. Let’s just say this isn’t the best day I’ve had in a while.
It’s been a bit of a downer actually, but I’m trying to bounce back quickly. After all, I’ve taken tons of things that I used to eat (every day) out of my diet completely, and I’m still a happy camper most days. Yet another challenge in culinary creativity! What other flavorful foods can amp up the taste experience? You best believe I’ll find them. 🙂
That’s actually how I came up with a unique combination like cranberry, pistachio, and sweet potato tostadas!
Sweet Potato Tostadas with Tangy Mango Sauce
- 1 c. sweet potato (+ 1 Tbs. extra virgin olive oil)
- 1/2 c. diced sweet yellow onion
- 1/4 c. dried cranberries
- 1/4 c. dry roasted salted pistachios
- 1 c. green cabbage or spinach
- 1/2 c. black beans (rinsed, drained)
- 4 corn tostada shells
- 1 tsp. cilantro flakes
- salt and pepper to taste
- Creamy mango sauce (1/2 c. mango; 2 Tbs. fresh lime juice; 1 Tbs. unsweetened coconut yogurt)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cut sweet potato into small cubes and dice onion.
- Add both to a lightly greased cooking sheet , coat with 1 Tbs. olive oil, and season with cilantro, salt, and pepper.
- Cook for 30 minutes.
- While the sweet potatoes are in the oven, blend mango, lime juice, and coconut yogurt until smooth. (Set aside.) This beautiful picture is how to cut a mango without all the hassle. Slice along the pit on both sides, then score the pieces in a grid. Flip the mango inside out to push those pieces apart and use a knife to slice the flesh away from the skin. Easy, right?
- Add black beans to sweet potatoes before serving.
- Layer and serve any way you’d like! You should have 1 Tbs. worth of cranberries and pistachios per tostada, and approximately 1/3 c. of the sweet potato + black bean mix.
*I don't count calories. My recommendations on calorie counting and nutrition can be found here
Well, there you go! Pleasing to the eyes and the taste buds… if I do say so myself. Let me know what you think when you make them by tagging @sharingeverybite on Instagram, @sharingeverybit on Twitter, or on Facebook. Happy Tostada Tuesday!