Creamy avocado, tangy citrus juice, antioxidant-filled quinoa, protein-packed black beans, and a spicy serrano kick! A quinoa bowl ready in less than half an hour, what’s not to love?
So the last few weeks
I’ve been…well, let’s say a little less “smiles and rainbows” than usual. With a slew of new food allergies, financial struggles, and just a terrible case of life catching up to me, it’s been rough sailing. The storm’s still a’brewin’, but it’s not raining on my parade anymore (although not for circumstances improving.) You may remember almost three weeks ago when I mentioned blood work and an Endoscopy. All results came back “normal,” which is amazing news, and frustrating at the same time. The problems and symptoms persist, so on another medical wild goose chase we go.
I’m trying not to lose hope despite having allergies/intolerances to 39 foods plus gluten, dairy, eggs, soy, and peanuts. In case you’re going through something similar, there’s one piece of advice I can give you: Continue to treat your body like a temple. It’s better to be frustrated at how healthy you’re trying to be and not reaping the expected (and rightfully deserved) benefits than to give up entirely and make things worse by throwing gas on a fire. Over stressing, eating junk, and being a couch potato won’t make anything better. (More on this soon in the new series, “Navigating Food Restrictions.”)
“So what do you have left to eat?!”
You have THIS quinoa bowl, amigos. And you’re going to love it!
Tangy South-of-the-Border Quinoa Bowl
- 1 c. quinoa (2 c. cooked)
- 2 cans black beans - rinsed, drained
- 1 pint container cherry tomatoes - sliced
- 2 lg. handfuls spinach - cut into ribbons
- 1 bunch cilantro - diced
- 1 stalk celery - chopped
- 1 lg. sweet onion - minced + 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 avocado
- 1/2 c. lemon and lime juice
- 1 Tbs. apple cider vinegar
- 3 Tbs. extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 Tbs. honey
- 1/2-1 serrano pepper (diced; without seeds unless you'd prefer extra heat)
- 1 lemon - zested
- 1 lime - zested
- salt and pepper to taste
- Prepare quinoa. Directions here. When finished, remove from heat and allow to cool.
- On medium-high heat, lightly sautée diced onion* with olive oil until nearly translucent. Remove from heat and set aside to cool. (*Note: if you prefer raw onion, omit this step.)
- Wash all produce and cut according to the ingredients list. Combine beans, tomatoes, spinach, cilantro, and celery in a large bowl and toss to incorporate.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together lime juice, apple cider vinegar, olive oil, honey, serrano, lemon+lime zest, and salt/pepper.
- When the quinoa and onion are cool, add to the bowl with the rest of the ingredients and toss with the dressing.
- Top with avocado and garnish with cilantro. How easy was that 🙂
*I don't count calories. My recommendations on calorie counting and nutrition can be found here